How to choose a Supplement with Dr. Azelia Brown
How to choose a supplement with pharmacist Dr. Azelia Brown
First Nutrition is the key
- Eating a variety of foods is the best way to obtain your vitamin and mineral needs
- Supplements are just an aid
How are supplements regulated?
- Food & Drug Administration (FDA) does not do premarketing analysis but they perform post marketing surveillance
- However they must adhere to current good manufacturing practices (CGMP)
So what can we do?
-Look for third party testing
-companies decide to choose an independent third party
-most recommended was USP
-others are NSF, BSCG & Consumer lab
What does regulation mean?
-The supplement contains what is stated on the label
- Products are standardized from batch to batch
- The supplement is free of harmful levels of contaminants or potential drug contaminants
-The product doesn’t contain any undeclared ingredients
- Toxicity with high doses
- Side effects
- Drug interactions
- Supplement may have no effect
- If you are a vegan, make sure that the product is certified vegan
- Allergic reactions (Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act means that they must check for 8 major allergens)
-Eat a Healthy diet
-Make sure supplement is Third Party approved
- Look for Recommended amount of vitamins, minerals and DHA
- Always discuss supplements with your healthcare provider
-Plan to do aspirin use during pregnancy with Dr. Azelia Brown in the future
-Next week we discuss the beauty and the beast of pregnancy
-With esthetician Ivette Gutierrez
DR. AZELIA BROWN IS CLINICAL PHARMACY SPECIALIST WITH OVER 5 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN THE HOSPITAL SETTING. SHE COMPLETED HER UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA. SHE THEN RECEIVED HER DOCTOR OF PHARMACY DEGREE FROM MERCER UNIVERSITY AND COMPLETED POST-GRADUATE TRAINING AT WELLSTAR ATLANTA MEDICAL CENTER. THOUGH SHE PRIMARILY PRACTICES IN THE CARDIOLOGY AND CRITICAL CARE SETTING, SHE HAS EXPERIENCE TAKING CARE OF A WIDE VARIETY OF PATIENT POPULATIONS.
SHE IS PASSIONATE ABOUT HELPING HER PATIENTS OPTIMIZE THEIR MEDICATION THERAPY AND IMPROVING THEIR HEALTH OUTCOMES.
-ACOG. (2022). NUTRITION DURING PREGNANCY. RETRIEVED FROM HTTPS://WWW.ACOG.ORG/WOMENS-HEALTH/FAQS/NUTRITION-DURING-PREGNANCY
-AMERICAN PREGNANCY ASSOCIATION (2023). PRENATAL VITAMINS. RETRIEVED FROM PRENATAL VITAMINS | EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW (AMERICANPREGNANCY.ORG)
-BIOSSAT, G. (2019). PRENATAL VITAMINS: A SMALL INTRODUCTION TO A BIG PILL. RETRIEVED FROM PRENATAL VITAMINS: A SMALL INTRODUCTION TO A BIG PILL - CHICAGO HEALTH (CHICAGOHEALTHONLINE.COM)
-NHS. (2023). VITAMINS, SUPPLEMENTS AND NUTRITION IN PREGNANCY. RETRIEVED FROM HTTPS://WWW.NHS.UK/PREGNANCY/KEEPING-WELL/VITAMINS-SUPPLEMENTS-AND-NUTRITION/
-U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP). (n.d.). Products and Solutions. Retrieved from USP Products and Solutions
Disclaimer: The primary purpose of this podcast is for private, non-commercial use. It does not constitute medical or professional advice.